Wednesday, March 31, 2010

English Cucumber

Motivated Mom watches a lot of cooking shows and picks up all kinds of nifty food preparation tips. She recently learned that English cucumbers are seedless and she passed that little tidbit along to me because I make a LOT of salads.

So I checked out the English version of these vegetables in the grocery store. They looked more like a kielbasa that had been stretched to the breaking report as opposed to the robust American cucumber but I kept an open mind and brought one home.

At first I was disappointed when I sliced the cucumber open thinking that the veggie had seeds after all - but it turned out not to be the case. The cavities where the seeds would lie were still there, but there were no actual seeds. The cavities were filled with fluid.

So... no more need to remove the seeds before chopping the cucumber into the salad. I was thrilled.

Then I got to wondering.... If the cucumbers don't generate seeds.... how do farmers grow more of them?

No comments: