Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Last Portions

I have rediscovered a youthful past time - surfing the radio waves. Now having a longer commute to work than I've had in some years, I've become intimately familiar with the SCAN button on the car radio.

This morning I happened upon a comment that made me lock in the radio station.

Food portions in paintings of the Last Supper have been increasing.

What? Was this a modern day version of the fishes and the loaves? Was food miraculously multiplying (well paintings of food anyway)? Could the end days be at hand?

Nope. No miracles. It seems researchers studied 52 different renditions of the Last Supper and found that more recent pieces of art depicted more food on the table than earlier works.

Which begs the question - exactly who sits down and says, Hmmmm I wonder if the apostles have a greater chance of being overweight now than two thousand years ago?

The only imagination challenging event is that someone took the time to develop a computer program that would compare the size of depicted bread to the size of the apostles' heads.

No comments: