Saturday, March 6, 2010

Freezing and Fishing

With temperatures pushing into the fifties, the fisherman were out. Today lines were being cast into both salt and fresh water from jetties, beaches, and rowboats.

I understand the desire - no, the need - to be out enjoying this break in what has been brutally cold and snowy weather. I even understand the desire to go fishing. I enjoy a day of surf fishing as much as anyone.

But water temperatures are still in the thirties, and with wind blowing toward shore from across those frigid waters, well - that is no day at the beach.

I'd much prefer to eat fish that has been frozen than to be the fisherman who froze in attempt to catch a fish.

Even warmer weather is yet to come, and with it plenty of angling opportunities.

For now I'll stick to enjoying the sun from a backyard patio where the air truly does feel like the fifty degrees showing on the thermometer.

No comments: