Sunday, March 21, 2010

Winds and 70's

At long last I had the windows open today. Mother Nature sent us a gift in the form of late April weather and I happily aired the house out. The tap tap tap of venetian blind pulls knocking against the window frame and the rustle of sheer curtains billowing in the breeze took me back to childhood summer days.

As though time had never advanced past 1970, I could see the metal-framed casement windows centered in my bedroom wall. Sprawled across the twin bed, I stared at the frosted glass on the ceiling light fixture while the turntable spun at 33 1/3 rpm and the voices of John, Paul, George and Ringo competed with the sound of summer air rushing through the window screen.

Jeans with more patches then denim lay heaped in a mound along with t-shirts, denim vests, and army fatigue jackets. Posters of Jimi Hendrix, The Byrds, and The Band competed for wall space with Salvador Dali reproductions.

Giving silent thanks to the March winds that had swept the 70's back to me, I could swear I heard my childhood friends calling from outside the window.

No comments: