Friday, March 12, 2010

Muffin Man

I've been waking up at 3:00 in the morning recently. Not waking up as in awake for the day but opening my eyes, noting the time on the clock, and then rolling over.

In the movie Something Wicked This Way Comes (an excellent thriller), 3:00 a.m. is referred to as soul's midnight.

Which has me wondering if prowling spirits are the reason for my nocturnal wakings.

My wondering has led me back to the days of my early childhood when I was certain there was an unfriendly man lingering in the shadows of my closet. I knew the sinister being as the muffin man.

On sleepless nights I would lay in my bed, blanket pulled up to my nose, hearing in my head the childhood rhyme Oh, do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man, Oh do you know the muffin man that lives on Drury Lane.

I never actually saw the man residing in my closet, and I didn't want to. Somehow I understood that if the being should step out of the shadows I would be staring not at a baker carrying a tray of pastries, but a wicked faced creature with fangs extending below it's chin carrying a tray full of previously collected heads.

And on that note I will say good night. sleep well, sweet dreams.

No comments: