Monday, March 29, 2010

Mirage Flip Side

You're familiar with the concept of weary travelers seeing mirages of ponds and lakes in the middle of the desert?

I experienced the exact opposite this evening.

The rain just doesn't seem to want to stop around here. It has rained so much that farm animals are up to their shins in standing water. Stilted playhouses with bright yellow slides look like they have been constructed lakeside rather than in the middle of a urban back yard.

I was making an evening commute in yet another torrential downpour when the lower clouds thinned enough that I could see a distant column of moisture laden thunderheads in the distance. At any other time I might have compared the line of clouds to a chain of mountains with peaks pushing into the sky. Tonight though, I compared the undulating clouds to a camel train. I imagined camels lined up head to tail, humps creating an endless ridge on the horizon.

Rather than a parched traveler imagining water, I was a rain weary commuter imagining an arid desert.

No comments: