Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Faith and Begora, I nearly missed the opportunity to spend a wee bit of time talkin' 'bout the Irish doncha know.

Though I'm technically a mutt, I do have a fair amount of Irish blood in me. So 'tis a shame and then some tha' our dear ol' Saint Patrick wasn't foremost in my thoughts today. I did no' have even the tiniest bit of green on my person.

Or is it orange I was supposed to be wearing today?

The green and orange was a big deal in my family when I was growing up. Protestant Irish wore orange, Catholic Irish wore green.

I grew up in the Protestant church but switched to the Catholic Church some 10 years or so ago. So I guess I should have been wearing stripes today.

To add to the confusion, it turns out the Irish aren't the beer guzzling folks they are portrayed to be. In fact St. Patrick's Day ranks lowest for beer sales compared to ten other major holidays according to an article on CNBC.

Which says volumes about the Irish palate. Why waste time on beer when you can be warming your insides with some Glennfiddich scotch whiskey?

No comments: