Monday, March 8, 2010

The Cold and Warm of It

I knew the reports of the groundhog seeing his shadow back on February 2 were wrong. I knew there wouldn't be six more weeks of cold, snowy weather. I knew balmy breezes would blow before we got to March 21. I was certain of it. Never doubted it for a moment.

Well, okay, I was reasonably certain and did my best to control my doubt while shoveling through two feet of snow.

But, hey, here it is, March 8, and the mercury rose to the 60 degree mark. Wind chills are past history. Before long heat indexes will be the topic of conversation.

Which makes me wonder. What ever happened to a straight temperature reading?

We've always known that a strong breeze or howling wind makes any day feel colder than the temperature registering on the thermometer.

Likewise we've always known that when humidity is visible in the air it's time to throw extra ice in the glass of Kool-Aid

Chills and indexes only serve to convince us the weather feels worse than it really is.

Sort of like portable lighting convinces a groundhog its seen a shadow that really isn't.

No comments: