Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Discography

I learned a new word today - discography.

It's a hybrid word, as so many words in the English language are, with ties to disc (as in musical compact disc) and biography.

I discovered the word because my mind never rests. At least that's what my acupuncturist tells me. She says she has never met a person so incapable of mental stillness. Which is funny because Motivated Mom says I'm so often nearly catatonic that it makes her nuts.

But I degress.

I was watching my DVD of Peter Gabriel's Growing Up tour the other night. The keyboardist on that tour was Rachel Z.

This evening, on my way home, a Peter Gabriel song was playing on the radio. Hearing the song reminded of the DVD, which reminded of Rachel Z, which reminded me that I knew virtually nothing about Rachel except she had teamed up Peter and others for the Growing Up tour.

Did I lose you on the third gray matter jump or are you still with me? Still here? Good.

Anyway, when I got home I googled Rachel Z, found her web page, and discovered a link to her discography.

Wondering what in the world a discography was, I clicked on the link and was presented with an amazingly extensive list of albums and songs she has contributed to.

The fact that spell check isn't flagging discography as a non-word tells me the term has been in use for a while.

Obviously I need to catch up on my tech speak.

No comments: