Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Octopus Masses & A Short Break

I recently learned that after mating the Giant Pacific Octopus (averaging fourteen feet in length) releases over 10,000 (yes thousand) eggs.

During the several month incubation period the female eats nothing. Well, there would be no time to eat with all those eggs to care for.

After the eggs hatch, the female dies. Good planning on her part.

Think about it, even though only 4 percent of the eggs ever hatch, that's still 400 offspring who would be calling : Mom, I'm hungry or Mom, my sister pulled my tentacles.

And as for Mom, if she did survive, how would she ever keep all the names straight?

What I'm wondering is ..... does Dad stick around for the mass hatching or does he swim off before he can be held liable for child support?


NOTE: Various obligations will have me away from the internet for the next few days. Look for the next post on Tuesday, March 30.

No comments: