Thursday, October 30, 2008

Unearthly Mornings

We've been having some chilly mornings here recently. I'd call them cold, except that would leave me no room for describing the days yet to come when just walking out the door is bad for your health. (Everybody knows people have no business being outdoors when the temperature is below freezing - right?)

And with these chilly mornings we've been getting that weather oddity where a layer of fog forms about twenty feet above ground level in random patches. The sheet of fog creates an artificial ceiling, blocking the sky above from view, giving everything a dead-gray color, and making it appear as though any tree over twenty feet tall has had its top half lopped off.

Every time I hit one of these creepy patches as I am driving to work, I feel like I've entered some kind of parallel universe where I'm over sized by about five hundred percent. I half expect the car radio to turn itself on and emit the voice of Rod Serling saying, Welcome to the twilight zone.

No comments: