Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sea Witch

This was the weekend for the annual Sea Witch Festival in the town of Rehoboth Beach. The festival is Rehoboth's unique Halloween celebration and always takes place on the weekend before Halloween.

The festival runs for three days and includes parades, contests, crafts, games, and more. Sea Witch weekend is a huge draw and the town is as busy during the festival as it is during prime beach season.

I missed the costume parade for children and families on Saturday because the weather was pretty miserable. In fact, I was surprised when I heard the parade had gone off on schedule because there had been some really heavy rain showers.

Sunday was a beautiful day so I went down to check things out. I arrived just in time for the costume parade for pets. I suppose you can enter any type of pet, but all of the entries I've ever seen are dogs. Dogs dressed up in every type of costume imaginable.

There are dozens of ways to win a costume award. This year's winners included pet families from as far away as Reston, VA. and Scranton, PA. The dogs were dressed as King Tut, Jimmy Basset (Buffet), a roll of salt water taffy, a lion, a bumble bee, a ballet dancer, and even a rooster.

It seems to me an animal psychologist could make a killing at this event. If the psychologist were to set up a booth in the craft area (which is where the parade ends), dogs by the dozens would be dragging their owners to the doctor's booth.

The line for the psychologist would move slowly I'm sure. It would take a long time to talk a dog back into a self-confident state of mind after it had just paraded down the boardwalk as a rooster or a bumble bee.

No comments: