Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sports & Health

Sports are bad for your health.

I'm convinced of it.... at least watching sports on television is bad for you.

My mother has been complaining of a sore shoulder recently. She's a Philadelphia Phillies fan and I'm convinced she hurt her shoulder either trying to hit the ball out of the park, throwing a guy out at home, or waving her arms at the umpire.

When she was visiting the other week, I frequently heard my mother "coaching" the players. Come on, hit the ball. What are you walking him for? Now let's go, get him out. Oh you just blew the game.

My mother is her upper seventies and has trouble getting around, but I'm certain there was some arm swinging accompanying those shouts of encouragement and cries of dismay. Not to mention heart palpitations and blood pressure surges.

My father was much the same when he was watching sports -only a zillion times more emotional than my mom.

With two parents knowing how the game should be played better than the actual players, it was inevitable I would inherit the same traits.

I finally recognized the health risk for what it was and started watching the sports summary shows instead of the actual games.

Some sports fans may feel I'm short changing myself - missing out on the minute to minute excitement of the game.... but I'm not nursing an injured shoulder.

No comments: