Monday, October 6, 2008

The Smell of Comfort

I stopped to do the week's shopping on the way home from work today. I exited the grocery store to an early dusk courtesy of the leading edge of an angry looking weather front. The chilling breeze whipping across the parking lot had me transferring grocery bags to the trunk of my car as quickly as possible.

The chill stayed with me for the short drive home. Once the car was safely in the driveway, I grabbed as many plastic bags as I could safely manage and hurried up the walk to the front door. Stepping across the threshold I was greeted by the smell of home made chicken soup simmering on the stove. The smell, heavy in the air, warmed me every bit as effectively as a warm, soft blanket. By the time the door had closed behind me, the chilly weather was forgotten and all was right with the world.

I was overcome with the need to immediately change into a set of loose fitting sweat clothes and a pair of warm slippers before sitting down to dinner.

Isn't it amazing the comfort we can find in a simple smell?