Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Great Pumpkin

I read where some farmer out in California won a contest with his 1,528 pound pumpkin. According to the article, the pumpkin gained nearly thirty pounds a day for a couple weeks in August.

I'm really hoping that was a type-o, because anything gaining thirty pounds a day that is attached to a vine needs to be hauled off to Area 51 or wherever the Air Force is hiding alien life forms these days.

I've grown pumpkins in my backyard garden before and they are creepy under ordinary conditions. The vine is anchored in place by tendrils that reach out and curl around any nearby object. Watching those little tendrils actually search for something to grab is way too close to a cognizant life form for my money.

A vine that could yield a fifteen hundred pound pumpkin would have to have tendrils the size of an infant's arms. Can you imagine walking out into your garden to find a sea of arms reaching and flailing? The mere thought gives me shivers.

And if, in the middle of those arms, there was something growing at the rate of thirty pounds a day.... Well, Invasion of the Body Snatchers would be upper most in my mind.

No comments: