Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Toss Those Pumpkins

Once a year, the eyes of the world turn to Sussex County, Delaware. Don't believe me? Keep your eyes on the national news broadcasts this weekend. (Really)

Yes, it's time for "Punkin Chunkin" when people from far and wide flock to lower Delaware with their gizmos and contraptions in the hopes their creation will be the one to toss a pumpkin the farthest. This event has grown so much over the years that it keeps having to be moved to bigger venues. This year a whole hunk of some Delaware farmer's land has been set aside for the event.

Now I don't know how it works if the winner is from another state. But if the winning vegetable tossing machine is built by a local Sussex County resident, the engineering marvel is proudly displayed in the winner's front yard (or nearest major intersection) for weeks afterward.

I can personally attest to this having come upon just such a contraption two years ago, staring dumbfounded and saying to myself, What the h... is that?

I know, I know. You're wondering how you have missed this event all these years. I don't know how to soften your sense of loss. I can only provide advance notice of the event this year in the hopes that you can make it to Delaware in time to give witness. (The big day this year is Halloween itself. Why go trick or treating when you could fill your goody bag with smashed pumpkin?)

How did all of this start? My guess would be that a couple of generations back there was a particularly poor pumpkin season. Some farmer walked out in his field and tossed a pumpkin in frustration. His throw happened to be noticed by a neighbor who walked over and said, Awh, shucks Clem, let me show you how to throw one of them there things.

And history was changed for ever.

No comments: