Thursday, October 16, 2008

Subliminal Excercise

My rational self and sensible self were at odds tonight.

It was exercise night. All evening my rational self was insisting on exercising to keep my joints from becoming as stiff as those of the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. My sensible self was equally adamant that with the earlier setting of the sun, a nap was in order.

My rational side won out by falsely agreeing to a compromise. Lighter weights and half the repetitions.

It did start that way, but on the second set of exercises I reached for the heavier weights.

A decidedly Gullum-like voice screamed in my mind. It tricked us my precious!

The back and forth arguments in my mind continued all during my work out. It was obvious that my sensible self would not continue to fall for this misdirection. What was I going to do?

A brilliant idea finally blossomed.

It is said the human brain learns best at a subliminal level. For instance, play a recording for learning a foreign language while you are sleeping and supposedly you will learn the language must faster.

So why wouldn't it work for the body as well as the mind? Here's my plan. Get into my exercise clothes, dampen a sweat band under the faucet and then put it on my head, put an exercise video on the T.V. - and then sit in my easy chair and take a nap.

When I wake up, I'll remember the exercising, my forehead will be damp with what I believe to be sweat, and I'll be well on my way to better health.

No comments: