Saturday, October 4, 2008

These Are the Times

These are the times that try men's souls.

Thomas Paine wrote those words. The phrase has been bouncing around in my head recently. I googled Thomas Paine to refresh my memory about the man - and was surprised to learn the infamous phrase pertained to the revolutionary war.

I thought sure Mr. Paine had been writing about trying to raise a teenage daughter.

How does anybody survive the raising of a teenage girl? The years of thirteen through fifteen were certainly challenging. Year sixteen is going to kill me.

I know people who now have or will have multiple daughters in teenage years and all I can say is God bless you. If those parents are still alive when the girls are gone, I think the parents should immediately qualify for sainthood.

I don't think I'm going to make it to sainthood. There is a slim chance that I'll survive, but I think killing offspring would disqualify the whole saint thing.

In case Media Girl is checking in on my blog.... just kidding sweetums.