Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Glowing Bananas

Recent research has revealed that yellow bananas glow blue in black light.

First of all, I want the job where you spend your time studying things under black light to see if they look different than they do in normal light.

Secondly, this discovery would have been made a long time ago if marijuana had just been legalized back in the sixties. Instead of sitting in sterile laboratories dressed in crisp white lab coats following strict protocols; researchers would have been wearing tie-dyed outfits and saying: Dude, I wonder what would happen if we put a banana under a black light? It makes me wonder how many other life-altering discoveries have been missed as a result of the failure to legalize.

Thirdly, whatever happened to all those variations of black lights and black light posters? Apart from the back corners of Spencer Gifts, you just don't see them anymore (or maybe I've gotten so old that I don't know the right places to look).

Reading the article about the glowing bananas got me thinking back to the days of glowing t-shirts and three dimensional posters. If I had known then that I could have framed posters with banana peels - well I could have started a decorating trend that would have allowed me to retire years ago.

Hmm.. I wonder how Motivated Mom would feel if I.... no never mind... bad idea... fruit flies you know.

No comments: