Saturday, October 18, 2008

Promise & Threat

Two days ago I spent the evening on the back patio enjoying temperatures in the eighties. Today the thermometer refused to leave the fifties and I turned on the heater to get the chill out of the house.

Pre-summer and post-summer have these temperature swings in common. But that is where the similarity ends. The temperature fluctuations of pre-summer promise warmer weather and longer days; the weather changes of post-summer threaten colder weather and shorter days.

A month ago I was surprised by my new found acceptance of post-summer. That acceptance is rapidly withering like the plants all around.

The steel gray clouds that have been blanketing the sky today have sapped my energy and muddled my mind. All I have been able to think about is taking a nap.

Well, there is that one redeeming aspect of this time of year. The opportunity for lots and lots and lots of naps.

No comments: