Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Struggle to Think

I'm struggling to think tonight. A monstrous head cold has my usually creative thoughts ending in fog enshrouded dead ends. I've changed the subject of tonight's post four times and still cannot seem to come up with one cohesive paragraph.

I'm wondering now how the word cold ever came to the name for the annoying ailment that makes our noses run, our eyes water, and our heads feel like they weigh fifty pounds. It seems to me sludge would be a more appropriate name for the malady.

When we get the sniffles our thoughts flow as slowly as sludge, we sludge through the day, and cough medicines taste like sludge.

Yes, all in all I think sludge is the better choice. It certainly invokes more sympathy. If we hear someone has a cold we dismiss it with a wave of the hand. But we would feel genuinely sorry and concerned for someone who told us they had sludge.

There's no way your boss would expect you to come into work if you had sludge. In fact I'm betting you would be instructed to stay the heck away until you were sure the sludge was gone.

I'm off to find my sludge relief tonic now.

No comments: