Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Price of Status

Two years ago we were forced to shop for a new car for Motivated Mom after the car she had been driving was totaled by a careless driver who ran a red light.

We ended up getting a used BMW. It wasn't the BMW name so much as the heated seats that sold my wife on the car. Motivated Mom and I share an intense displeasure of cold weather so I could empathize. Since her daily schedule includes a lot of driving time, I figured Motivated Mom was entitled to a warm butt.

I hadn't foreseen the cost of maintaining a status car. We recently scheduled service for the vehicle because of a warning light on the dashboard. What we thought might be a leaking coolant hose turned into hose repair, thermostat replacement, brake overhaul, belt replacement, and axle boot replacement.

It seemed we were assuredly heading for a budget breaking thousand dollar repair bill. I was stunned when the total came in at over two grand. (I wonder if the cashiers at the dealership have to be trained in CPR.)

I'm convinced half of the price was the BMW logo on the replacement parts.

Now I remember why I loved my first car - a Volkswagen Beetle - so much.

No comments: