Sunday, October 4, 2009

Microscope Moon

The full moon was still high in the sky when I left for work this morning. At ground level, bands of fog shifted on eddies of air so that at one moment the moon was a blazing white circle and the next a muted gray puddle of light.

Perhaps because of the other-worldliness of the morning, it occurred to me that the moon resembled the eyepiece of a microscope. Which made me wonder if maybe I was being scrutinized by a greater being.

Was the progress of my car along the road being studied from above just as I had once studied the seemingly frantic travels of amoeba in a drop of liquid during science class? Was the fog surrounding me in fact a drop of liquid on a glass slide? Was I as minute a part of the universe belonging to the watcher in the sky as an atom is to my world?

I would have liked to have traveled further down this road of hypothesis but the beams of light from an oncoming car brought my attentions back to the here and now.

Perhaps as I fall asleep tonight I will return to my pondering of being part of a larger organism - what I would call the universe, but the watcher might call a petri dish.

No comments: