Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hershey Coasters

Our family celebrated my birthday on Saturday with a trip to Hershey Park. We've been there several times in the past, but this was our first night time experience.

Motivated Mom and I are roller coaster fanatics. We were thrilled to discover that park attendance in the dark was low enough that we were able to get on each coaster with virtually no waiting.

Much as I enjoy roller coasters, at the top of the first drop I almost always find myself wondering what form of dementia caused me to misplace my common sense.

Saturday night was no exception. Our first ride was a new coaster with a ninety degree drop on the first hill. That's right - straight down.

Just before gravity took over, I found myself shouting - bad idea, I've changed my mind.

Of course at that point it was too late. The coaster plummeted earthward and I aged an additional year. Then the coaster looped, spun, pointed skyward again, and left terra firma behind.

My screams changed to laughter, I briefly encountered my childhood during a barrel roll, and when the ride was over I hurried on to the next coaster so I could once again laugh at certain death.

No comments: