Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Jack Frost

I can't believe I have had to scrape thick coatings of frost from my windshield the past two mornings. Apparently Jack Frost doesn't understand we're only a month into post-summer and that his invitation to the area isn't valid for another two months yet.

Jack Frost's existence first became known to me in early childhood. Our family lived in a house with a storm door which always frosted up on cold Christmas season days. The crystaline patterns on the glass would prompt my mother to say that Jack Frost had paid us a visit. The very thought of an elf who directed flows of air cold enough to ice an entire door was enough to make me shiver inside my footed pajamas.

It was the holiday cartoon Frosty the Snowman that put a face to Jack Frost. A mischievous imp who delighted in bringing chilling strife to the lives of people and snowmen alike.

If it's all the same to you Mr. Frost, I'd appreciate it if you'd bundle up your annoyances and slide on out of here. I understand Manitoba is beautiful at this time of year.

No comments: