Saturday, October 17, 2009

Picture Process

I'm rearranging my office space and I'm undecided on which of two pictures to hang above my desk.

It's a big decision because the picture will inevitably influence my thoughts when I raise my eyes from the keyboard to ponder the direction of a chapter, short story... or blog post.

One picture is an oil painting of a country scene in the post-summer season. A gravel road winding between a barn and shed would invite my thoughts into the carefree enjoyment of a warm afternoon.

The other picture shows a lantern carrying gentlemen dressed in the garb of the 1800's standing in the shadowy entrance to a crypt. Obviously an iron gated crypt leads in a decidedly darker direction than a country walk, but since a lot of my writing deals with the paranormal, perhaps this is the more appropriate of the two.

Then again, perhaps I should just leave the wall above my desk undecorated and let my musings create a scene unique to the moment.

No comments: