Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chernobyl Grapes

While packing my lunch this morning, I reached into a recently purchased bag of grapes, then quickly withdrew my hand in surprise. I must have bought the wrong item. Yes, whatever was in the bag grew in bunches, but each piece of fruit was big enough to be a night light bulb.

I checked the markings on the packaging. Red seedless grapes - Imported

Imported from where - Chernobyl?

Exposure to radiation seemed the only explanation for the gargantuan size of the grapes. I briefly worried that I would glow a sickly green color if I ate the fruit, then decided that might be just the perfect effect for the upcoming Halloween season.

I guess I'll get my answer when I go to bed tonight. If it turns out I can read by the light emanating from my hands I'll know I should have trashed the grapes.

No comments: