Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rhapsody

I had the pleasure of attending an evening of music last night.

There were two musicians performing in the back room of a local restaurant (no, not a Soprano's style back room). The room is the perfect size for a private gathering, which made for a delightfully intimate evening.

One of the musicians proved to have a flair for classical music and gave an absolutely fantastic performance of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

I enjoy classical music. Last night was the first time I've ever had the opportunity to actually watch it being played.

The position of my seat allowed me to see the keyboard and I was astounded at the effort that went into playing the classical piece.

The pianist's fingers were a blur of movement and his hands were crossing back and forth over one another like hummingbirds on steroids.

There were extended periods of time when the pianist's eyes were closed and I wondered how he could possibly know where to place his fingers when his hands were flying from one end of the keyboard to the other.

Imagine lifting your fingers from the keys of a piano, shooting your hand three feet to the right (crossing over your other hand) and bringing your fingers back down on the exactly correct keys - with your eyes closed.

Amazing.

No comments: