Thursday, March 26, 2009

Movie Frustration

Just as I was waking up this morning, I heard the distant high pitched scream of a motorcycle engine racing into high RPMs. The sound made me think of the cry of a Banshee - and that thought reawakened memories of a search that has frustrated me for thirty years.

Somewhere around the year 1968 I saw a Disney technicolor movie that scared me to death. The movie started innocuously with the discovery of an old trunk in the attic of a farmhouse. That discovery led to the countryside suffering the wrath of a howling Banshee.

About ten years later, having recovered from the initial trauma of the movie, I decided I just had to see that fantastic movie again. I remembered the special effects that had me convinced the banshee was reaching out from the screen in the front of the movie theater as it wailed an ear-piercing scream.

I could have sworn that the movie had been called Cry of the Banshee but searches of film magazines proved my recollection of the title to be incorrect. Oh there is a movie by that name, but not a Disney film. And there is a Disney movie involving a Banshee, but it's filmed in black and white.

I've been searching for the movie off and on ever since. I've checked video stores, film publications, internet sites - all to no avail. There have been a couple of times when I believed I'd found it, only to have the search turn cold.

And now that dag blasted motorcycle with its banshee scream is going to have me renewing my frustrating search once again.

If I ever track the movie down I'll be sure to share the title because, if it lives up to my memory, it's a movie everyone needs to enjoy.

No comments: