Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Breaking Wood

My nephew, Joey, recently advanced another belt color in karate.

Joey is actually focusing on a very specific form of martial art, and he is no doubt distressed that I have not remembered the name of the specific discipline. But for those of us who are just everyday folk, karate gets the point across.

To earn his belt, Joey had to break a board with his hand.

Apparently karate instructors are not aware of recent technological advances - saws.

I could no more break a board with my hand than Superman could fly with kryptonite tucked into his shorts.

I know it's all about mind over matter, but my mind would think it mattered that I was trying to break something houses are built from with a part of my anatomy that could fracture if I tripped over my shoelaces.

Then again, perhaps I should take advantage of an opportunity to work on proving that an old dog can learn new tricks. There are some fallen tree branches I need to clean up in the back yard...

No comments: