Friday, March 27, 2009

Buzzard Shield

The last thing I expected to see directly in front of my windshield was a big old ugly turkey buzzard.

I have often wondered what they looked like up close. I must admit I never imagined the opportunity would occur while I was traveling at 40 mph.

A quartet of turkey vultures were flying low to the ground on a course that took them directly across the road near my house. Apparently the color of my car blends well with the local flora and fauna because the buzzards seemed totally unaware that a ton or two of steel was closing in on them.

I was certain the buzzards would change course so I didn't bother reducing my speed. My error in judgment became apparent when I realized I might have to explain talon gouges in my windshield to the insurance company.

Worse, I might agitate the birds. If one were to attach itself to each corner of my car, the four buzzards could have probably lifted my vehicle from the road.

Finally, AEVDS (Avian Early Vehicle Detection System) kicked in and the buzzards altered course.

All in all, the encounter was close enough that I can scratch getting up close and personal with an incredibly ugly bird off of my list of things to do.

No comments: