Sunday, December 28, 2008

Wind, Sand, and Geese

With temperatures in the seventies here today, Motivated Mom and I went out for an afternoon walk in search of sea shells.

It turned out that apart from the warm temperatures, mother nature was not feeling particularly cooperative.

High winds drove clouds of stinging sand across the beach. I was glad of my hooded sweatshirt. The hood kept my face and neck from getting sandblasted.

Unable to hear one another, and focusing on keeping our eyes averted from the intermittent sandstorms, Motivated and Mom and I were soon separated.

Following a thunderously loud onslaught of wind that nearly knocked me off my feet, a riot of shrill cries in the distance caught my attention.

I turned to see a wall of white preceding a mass of roiling black clouds. The wall of white turned out to be hundreds of geese that were soon racing over my head.

Goose "bombs" were dropping all around me as the howling winds buffeted the geese first one way and then another.

Somehow I escaped unscathed.

Motivated Mom and I quickly sought each other out. We decided it would be prudent to follow the example of the geese and head for the shelter of our car.

No comments: