Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sound is Relative

When I go to bed at night, there is generally a time span of no more than two minutes between my becoming horizontal and slipping into sleep. And once I'm out I usually don't hear a thing until the wee hours of the morning. Motivated Mom comes to bed after me and I never hear a thing.

So the other night when I was seriously in need of a battery recharge and looking forward to something like one hundred hours of uninterrupted sleep I was surprised to find myself staring at the ceiling twenty minutes after lying down.

Not only were my eyes refusing to remain closed, my ears were tuning into every sound in the house. I heard every volume change between television show and commercial coming from the TV in the family room. Ice being dropped into a glass sounded like a calving glacier. Slippered feet on the linoleum floor might as well have been the boots of the Marine at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Like many things in life, sound is relative. Normally any of the sounds I mentioned would have been inconsequential. Why did the relativity shift have to come on the night I needed sleep the most?

No comments: