Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Heads Up

You may have seen the article about this in the news a few weeks back.

A refrigerator sized piece of space trash fell to earth and landed harmlessly in the middle of the ocean. The space trash was an expended coolant cylinder that was intentionally thrown out of the space station.

I'm thinking the fish in the impact zone didn't think it was such a harmless landing.

Hey Gill, swim over here and check this out. There's not a cloud in the sky, but if you float right in this spot there's this big rectangle of shade.

You been sippin' saki again Marlin?

No, seriously - come on over here and....

SPLASH

Who decided it was okay to pitch used refrigerators out of the space station?

I'm just a little nervous about some NASA guy projecting the path of descent for an object that could turn my living room into an open air theater. I mean what if the programmer spilled coffee on his pants just when he was entering a key part of the calculation? Suddenly the middle of the ocean becomes the pond next to my house. With an unexpectedly strong easterly wind.... well, let's just say I'd rather they keep the space junk in space.

No comments: