Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dental Therapy

I had to make an emergency visit to the dentist today.

Putting the words dentist and emergency together has the same effect as fingernails on a blackboard doesn't it?

When my name was called, I was led past the hygienist chairs to the luxury recliners in the back room. I guess the chairs need all that extra padding to conceal the restraining straps.

I didn't get the restraining straps. I got the Clockwork Orange behavior altering therapy.

The pleasant assistant took a look in my mouth and said Oh yeah, you really did a number on that tooth.

Whereupon she took an x-ray, the results of which appeared on a high definition, wide screen computer monitor suspended directly in front of my face.

I can tell you that a broken tooth enlarged to one thousand times it normal size looks very similar to the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Doctor will be with you shortly - oh, let me numb your mouth so you don't feel the shots.
(Notice the plural on shots)

And I was left to study the shipwreck hanging in front of me.

See sucker - this is what happens with you throw a handful of almonds into your mouth instead of chewing one at a time. Bet you won't be doing that again any time soon will you? Cause that handful of nuts is about to cost you one thousand greenbacks. You just sit there and study that jagged mess on the screen in front of you for the next few minutes while you're waiting for the man with the drill.

No comments: