Friday, December 12, 2008

Santa Degree

I was reading an article in a Guideposts magazine yesterday about a man who works as one of Santa's many helpers every year. The article referred to a Santa Claus school in Michigan.

Really? A Santa Claus school? I went on line to check it out. Sure enough the Charles W. Howard Santa Claus School in Michigan has been training Santa helpers since 1937. The school has a Dean, a Registrar, numerous instructors, and offers a degree to its graduates. There is even an international extension of the school. Graduates with genuinely white beards can then join the guild of naturally bearded Santa helpers if they so choose.

I think now I know why some Santa helpers are SO much better than others. The really good helpers must be the ones who have attended the school.

I think it is great this school exists! I've been called on to serve as Santa's helper many times (I even have my own suit now) and I can tell you it's no easy task. My first assignment was at Wanamaker's department store in 1975. I REALLY enjoyed it, but it wore me out.

After that first assignment, if I had known there was a school I would have signed up immediately. I would have been anxious to soak up as much information as possible about Santa, reindeer, elves, and the North Pole.

I am being sincere here. Serving as Santa's helper has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. It is an incredible honor and a HUGE responsibility.

And to anyone who's wondering... Yes, of course there's a Santa Claus.

How do I know? The first time I put on an offical Santa's helper suit I was infused with the magic of Santa and Christmas. And it has happened every time since. It's something you have to experience to appreciate - but the suit must be donned with the correct intent. The magic won't come if you're not committed to being the best helper that you can be.

I loved the quote from Charles W. Howard that appears on the school's website:
Anyone who believes Santa comes in through the chimey is mistaken. Santa comes in through the heart.

No comments: