Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holiday Evolution

The temperature made it into the sixties here today and I have been as happy as an Iguana basking in the midday sun on a hot tile roof.

When I was a kid, warm weather this close to Christmas would have had me in a state of panic. How would it ever be cold enough to snow for Christmas. And if it did snow, how would it stick if the ground wasn't cold?

Because when I was a kid, in my mind there were four absolute requirements for a great Christmas: a visit to Santa Claus at the department store, a colorful Christmas tree, presents, and snow - lots of snow.

In fact, I clung to that criteria quartet all through my twenties. A blizzard just before Christmas was great!

Things began to change when I hit thirty years of age. An inch of snow on Christmas Eve was the perfect touch. And if the snow was gone by New Year's so much the better.

By the time I hit forty, a heat wave in December with a small break to allow for some flurries on Christmas morning was my idea of perfect holiday weather.

Now I'm in my fifties and I'm thinking it would be great to spend Christmas sitting under a palm tree sipping fruity drinks.

I can remember seeing the first Bing Crosby Christmas special from California. I was still pretty young then and I remember being appalled that Bing had sold out. Now I'm appreciative of his wisdom.

No comments: