Thursday, June 3, 2010

Stormticipation

There's something about the approach of a ground shaking thunderstorm that captures my attention and incites a state of anxiety similar to what I used to experience on Christmas morning as a child.

I sit in such a state of anxiety now. To the west the sky has the varying shades of black and gray similar to a piece of paper that has been covered with charcoal smudges.

The breezes that sent scraps of paper tumbling along curbs just minutes ago have suddenly stopped. An expectant quiet permeates everything - the calm before the storm.

Ahh, the first distant rumbles have just reached my ears. My mother used to explain thunder as angels were bowling in heaven. To me it sounds more like an approaching stampede - or a collection of empty 55 gallon metal drums tumbling down a staircase.

The lightning will soon follow. I love the brilliant jagged streaks that span the gap between heaven and earth, but equally captivating are the lightning flashes that leap and flicker between one thunderhead and another - the original laser light show.

I'll meet you on the flip side - I'm off to enjoy the entertainment,

No comments: