Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ocean Blue

I had been reading the news articles about the 16 year old girl attempting to sail around the world. For that short period of time when it was thought she might be lost a sea, I got to wondering what that would be like.

Actually I got to wondering why anyone would want to get in a boat all by themselves with no land in sight.

I get panicky when I dive under a wave, come up facing the wrong direction, and think I have somehow been swept to sea. Fortunately a 180 degree spin allays those fears.

But if you're out in the middle - I mean really in the middle - of the sea, you can spin on your toes all day and have absolutely no chance of spotting land. The very thought sends chills up and down my spine.

There are creatures out there in the cold, dark, depths that could swallow you in one bite and use your leg bone for a toothpick.

Obviously the young mariner in the news had never watched Moby Dick, Jaws, or The Abyss.

I'm all for setting high goals, but if I run into difficulties I want to be able to put my foot down on terra firma - not something wet, slippery... and moving.

No comments: