Friday, June 4, 2010

All Fizzle No Pop

Imagine going to a fireworks display and having every single rocket launch be a dud.

The disappointment would hang as heavy as a proverbial wet blanket.

Such was my disappointment last night when the thunderstorm I was looking forward to fizzled before my very eyes.

Lightning was flashing to the north, west, and south. The winds that had quieted suddenly returned at a velocity one might expect in a wind tunnel. Thunder rumbled endlessly all around.

And then... nothing.

Clouds that had formed an imposing wall simply dissipated in seconds. The lightning stopped as though a switch on the voltage supply had been thrown to the off position. The rumble of thunder was replaced by the chirping of crickets.

I stood in the back yard with my mouth hanging open in the manner of a young boy who had just seen a baseball personally autographed by Mickey Mantle snatched from before his eyes.

The evening was a disaster, a total bust. There was nothing to do but head inside for a shower and ready myself for bed.

No comments: