Sunday, June 13, 2010

Families Chillin'

When parents head to the beach the top item on their agenda is rest and relaxation.

When kids head to the beach the top item on their agenda is perfecting perpetual motion.

The result - battle lines drawn in the sand. I witnessed these battles and skirmishes over and over this weekend.

Johnny sit down. Sally don't throw sand at your brother. Beth we're getting ready to eat, don't put your hands in the ... oh, nooooo, Beth - not in the sand!!! No, we're not going in the ocean, it hasn't been an hour since we ate.

And in this battle that has been been going on for decades the kids always win because... the other camp is divided.

John, I need twenty minutes of peace. You need to watch your children.

I need to watch the children? I worked twenty extra hours last week so that I could take this vacation. I need quiet time as much as anybody.

While the parental contingent seeks to establish leadership, Jimmy throws a jellyfish and the slimy globule lands in his sister's hair.

...Ahhh yes, family vacations at the beach.

No comments: