Monday, June 28, 2010

The Sky MUST be Falling

Was it intergalactic weapons fire? Perhaps a more traditional surface to air missle launch. A comet streaking towards earth?

I gave momentary consideration to each of these scenarios because when the sun is blazing high overhead and vision is unrestricted for several miles the last thing on my mind is lightning.

Rubbing my eyes, I brought my focus back to the highway ahead while at the same time trying to keep an eye on the distant horizon. Another flash winked in and out of existence at the edge of my vision.

Seconds later another flash, this one straight ahead but twenty miles distant. Then another - and another. The jagged streaks hung in mid air for only milliseconds, but it was enough to make me believe that mighty Thor was hurling javelins earthward.

I was confused. Where were the dark thunderheads that should accompany such a display of raw energy? Surely the silver streaks should be originating from something more ominous than a hazy, barely gray, sky.

Truly my world has now been turned completely topsy-turvy. Not only is the summer sun setting in the North these days, but lightning is descending from an otherwise featureless sky.

No comments: