Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tee Perspective

I was at a fundraiser dinner last night where, for some inexplicable reason, a flat screen TV roughly the size of my family room was tuned to a golf tournament.

Inexplicable to me because I would think the hosts of the fundraiser would want attention focused on their undertaking, not on the rankings of golfers following completion of the seventh hole.

By no means am I a golf fanatic, but a particular camera shot caught my attention. Hundreds of spectators were pressed up to either side of the fairway just where the golfers were teeing off (I think I have all the golf terminology right).

And I wondered... As a spectator, isn't being pressed up along the fairway at the tee a little like standing with your toes right on the first or third base line on a baseball field? And if so, doesn't that amount to a premeditated decision to put yourself in harms way?

If a golfer's powerhouse swing results in the ball being sliced (terminology?) to the immediate right or left, what chance does a fan at the very edge of the fairway have of avoiding the projectile heading toward his or her face? Absolutely none. Locked into position like a sardine squeezed into a can, said fan could do nothing but wait for the inevitable impact.

I realize a golf ball is but a fraction of the size of a baseball, but any object moving at a speed of Mach 5 has to hurt like hell when it hits the bridge of your nose.

My preferred vantage point would be perhaps the branches of the tree behind the tee.

No comments: