Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pond Surprise

I was cleaning the fish pond this afternoon when it sprang out at me. A monstrous frog nearly six feet tall. Poisonous venom dripped from fangs that extended down past the frog's chin. A purple spotted tongue lashed out in my direction and stopped mere inches short of my face. The tip of the tongue flickered before my eyes like a maddened snake before the frog reeled the tongue back into its mouth. Before completely disappearing back between the dripping fangs, the purple tongue swept across the monster frog's bulbous eyes, cleaning a gluey opaque film from the protruding eyeballs.

Well, it could have happened.

The frog did scare me half to death after all.

I had just pulled a pile of matted leaves from the bottom of the pond and was about to put the decaying muck in a wheel barrow when the amphibian leapt out. It really was a big sucker. Okay, not six feet tall, but big enough to cover half a dinner plate.

See how you react when something the size of a Burger King Whopper unexpectedly leaps toward your face.

Once I had collected my wits, I went back to cleaning the pond. My arm was elbow deep in murky water when I remembered that three frogs had moved in last spring. I had named them Moe, Larry, and Curly.

It must have been Moe who had driven me to the verge of apoplexy. It was the sort of thing that Moe Howard would have done.

Wait. Three frogs. That meant.

Even as I thought it, I felt something squirm through my fingers. It must have been twelve feet long....

No comments: