Saturday, February 27, 2010

Streamlined Setup

Holy expediency Batman!

I purchased a new laptop today because, well - it was necessary. My old laptop had slowed to the point where I could fix a cup of tea while I waited for a web page to load.

I was dreading the computer setup - you know, load Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Install the driver for my printer. On and on and on.

What a surprise when I discovered Microsoft Office was preloaded and I needed only to type in the authentication key for the hard disk I owned.

But the biggest amazement was setting up the printer.

I plugged the data cord into the USB port and prepared to put the installation CD into the computer. Before I could press the button to open the CD player a message appeared on the computer screen: Loading Device Driver

Surely the next message would be: Driver not found, please install software

But no, the message turned out to be: Samsung ML-2510 now ready to use.

Could it really be that in less than 2 minutes the printer was ready to go?

I opened Word that I had so easily authenticated moments ago, typed a quick sentence, and sent the one line document to the printer.

...and it printed!!

In less than an hour from the opening of the box my new computer was fully functional. Amazing!

No comments: