Thursday, February 4, 2010

Positive Rain

Okay, enough already, this isn't funny any more.

In the past three weeks our area has dealt with more snow than the region usually experiences in five years. Now there is a blizzard warning posted for the next two days. Up to eighteen inches of snow with high winds.

Yesterday afternoon the temperatures had moderated enough that I was able to sit on the deck and bask in the sun for an hour. I was certain the worst of the unusual weather was in the past.

Then today at work customers started talking about the approaching storm. I wanted to put my fingers in my ears and shout nah, nah, nah, nah, I can't hear you.

There was no drowning out the din in the grocery store. When I stepped through the sliding glass doors I was hit by a wall of sound that rivaled the echoing roar heard in a sports stadium.

Did you hear we're getting more snow. Oh, I love snow. I'm sick to death of the stuff. We're supposed to have a foot. We're supposed to have two feet. They're calling for three feet and power outages. I need to make sure we're stocked up. Can't be caught without the necessities. It'll be a week before I'll be able to get out again. Conversations and predictions tumbled together creating an avalanche of conjecture.

I went home, put my snow shovel away, and placed my umbrella by the door. The power of positive thinking will turn this into nothing more than a rain event - I'm certain of it.

No comments: