Monday, February 15, 2010

Seeing What You Need

Sometimes it's important to see only what you want to see.

This morning I wakened to the soft glow of sunlight seeping between the slats of the venetian blinds. The angle of the sun cast bars of light across the wall adjacent to the windows, illuminating a framed picture of a beach scene.

I allowed myself the luxury of believing I had wakened to a June morning. The kind of summer morning where the promise of bright sun and warm breezes dispels any desire to linger in bed. The kind of summer morning spent breakfasting on the porch with a bagel and cup of tea, the sun forcing my eyes into a squint as I watch the birds probing the ground for breakfast of their own.

Managing to hold onto the summer mentality through the first part of my morning routine, I grew excited by the prospect of the coming weekend.

We're having Caribbean night in our family room later this week. A ritual we are resurrecting from a time when we lived in Pennsylvania. A time when perpetually snowy weather drove us to the brink of despair.

Ahh... I can hear the steel drum music now.

No comments: