Thursday, February 25, 2010

Annoyances and Attitudes

I was back at the auto repair shop yet again today. February has been a brutal month for car repairs with dollar totals well into the four digit range.

The problem today was relatively minor - but annoying. Ever since we had a new set of tires put on our Honda Civic, the tire pressure warning light on the instrument panel has remained constantly illuminated. Today was the tire center's second attempt at correcting the problem - and still the issue remains unresolved.

It's not that I'm concerned about the tire pressure. I started driving in the pre-computer age when low pressure alerts came in the form of physical inspections or sluggish steering response. It's that dagblasted warning light constantly in my line of vision that has my nerves on edge.

Equally irritating to me is that this annoyance is just another example of the carelessness that has become rampant in American business. Not carelessness as in oops I made a mistake, although that certainly applies in this situation, but a care less attitude. An implied shoulder shrug that says we did what we could, sorry for your luck.

What ever happened to wanting to give your best to everything you did? Yes, I know there are still those dedicated kind of folks out there. But these days it's almost a surprise to encounter a can do attitude.

Which doesn't say much for the majority of our encounters.

No comments: