Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New Tradition

Along the turnpike and through the tunnel to College Dude's apartment we go.

Yes, it's a new twist on over the river and through the woods.

A new twist to the song is fitting because this year marks a new twist to our family tradition. Since College Dude's obligations prevent him from coming to us - Motivated Mom, Media Girl, and myself will be heading to him.

It's kind of exciting actually, like taking the first step on a new adventure.

The change in venue has me thinking about Thanksgiving evolution. For me, Thanksgiving memories begin with my grandparents' dining room table burdened with food and the smell of a slowly roasting turkey permeating the entire house. Later years saw my sister and I seated in my parents' dining room.

Thanksgiving then alternated between the families of Motivated Mom and myself. Now we are heading to our son's house. It occurs to me that, with a couple of exceptions, Motivated Mom and I have somehow skipped being Thanksgiving hosts. Perhaps our turn will come in the future - as grandparents. Now there's a scary thought.

No comments: