Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lights and Colts

It was a near thing today. My neighbor almost stole my coveted position of being the first person in the neighborhood to decorate for Christmas.

I had come home from work, popped a cold brewsky, and was settling in to watch the Indianapolis Colts hopefully continue their perfect season - when across the street there arose such a clatter that I sprang from my recliner to see what was the matter.

My neighbor was putting up his Christmas decorations.

Oh my, said I.
This cannot be.
Someone decorating earlier than me.

I turned from the window
Looked back at the T.V.
I sorely wanted to watch Peyton throw for T.D.s

But my decorating title was in jeopardy
There was really no choice
I cranked the volume so from outside I could hear the announcers voice.

Outside I hung colored lights from the eaves with care,
Fixing my neighbor with a murderous stare

I went up and down the ladder more often than I should
Sometimes to fix wires, sometimes to check the Colts were still good.

All in all it was a celebratory day
My title was not lost - though it now will be shared
My team marched onward with hardly a care.

No comments: